Monday, May 27, 2013

WATAMI Japanese Casual Restaurant

Still in my Japanese food craze.

This time my dining companion is my polytechnic classmate, close friend, Abi😋 We decided to head to the somewhat still considered newly opened mall near Buona Vista Mrt station, The Star Vista! I go there for service very Sunday as well, so it's not relatively "new" to me in the sense. 

But still have not explored everywhere yet. Watami is located at Level 2, just visible once you go up the escalator fon the sheltered area all the way from the train station, easily spotted & accessible as well. 

We wanted to go for Coco Ichibanya, for curry rice but decided to go for Watami instead, Watami do have a queue sometimes and it happens that there's NO queue at all today, so why not! :)

When we entered, we were immediately guided to our table at the side, nice place, we had a very quiet dinner as there was no one at all, only 2 other tables were occupied.

When we wanted to place our orders, the staff took quite a while to respond although there are no other customers requiring their attention, we had high patience level so it's fine, just that every time we tried call them, we were required to use call out many times with big hand gestures to alert them, once my friend had to walk to them personally for some attention, and they told her to "wait".

That aside, Abi ordered the Chicken Katsu Don and I got the Hire Katsu Tamago Toji. Both were served on a sizzling hotplate but now was cooked in front of me, using the potable gas stove so it was quite unique, seeing the egg and salty broth bubbling and creating a nice aroma, Abi's one came cooked and without the gas stove, I wondered why, because the table beside had the Chicken Katsu Don as well and had the gas stove, nevertheless, it was great experience.

Broth was slightly too salty for our liking and I tried her Chicken pieces, not bad, more tender than my pork loin though. 

We were feeling sooo full half way through and the portion is huge, for me at least, if you are a big eater, you will like Watami! I would suggest you and your companion share a portion first if both of you are small eaters, like me.




There's always room for dessert right? We ordered the Matcha Parfait (Green tea ice cream with cream and kanten-white jelly, with red bean toppings & not forgetting our favorite riceballs)

This was like the "highlight" of the meal for me, I love ice cream, I love matcha, totally great, portion was so small though, the both of us gobbled everything up in no time! It is $3.80 per portion, well worth it. 

Except to note: sadly the picture and the real thing is totally different, the vanilla soft serve cream shown on the menu was high, higher than the matcha ice cream, but the real thing is different, still nice though, just a tad disappointed with the great difference in illustration and actual dish. 

The Star Vista (near Buona Vista Mrt station)

Watami Japanese Casual Restaurant 
#02-16 
11:30AM-10:00PM